Linen towel and washcloth

While in-between some big projects, I decided to whip up a quick linen towel and washcloth. Linen is a great change of pace; it’s strong, not stetchy, and holds its shape wonderfully to create a very textured fabric. The feel through the fingers is very different than wool, and even different than cotton. And Euroflax linen, in particular, from the lovely folks in Louet, is a standard go-to for many knitters because it’s so lovely!

Pattern: Slip Stitch Dishtowels by Purl Soho, “three-and-one tweed pattern” worked over 75 stitches (as written) for the towel, and over 51 stitches for the washcloth.

Yarn: Louet Euroflax in cream (rescued from this 10-year old UFO – love how blogs keep us accountable!) and French blue, about 275 yards/102 grams and 90 yards/33 grams (total, of both colors) for the towel and washcloth, respectively.

Needles and finished dimensions: I used US 3 needles, as specified in the pattern, and the finished dimensions after blocking are is 11″ x 18.5″ and 8″ x 8″.

I made a nifty mod along the right edge of the fabric – where you switch colors – to create a tidy edge for the border. I put the steps in my Instagram stories. I hope you got to see it!

Satsuma Street Secret Springtime Stitchalong

Back in February, I signed up for the Satsuma Street Secret Springtime Stitchalong. I had never done a mystery stitchalong (and I don’t think I’ve ever done a mystery knitalong, either), but the stakes are so low with cross-stitch because the supplies are really affordable, so I thought, why not? Plus, it’s designed by Jody Rice – I’ve stitched several of her designs, and have always loved the experience.

For several months, I received mystery charts of a springtime-themed design, and stitched and stitched until I was done!

As you can see, I chose the “cool” color palette. The canvas is MCG Textiles 28 count white evenweave, which I purchased at my local Joann’s, along with DMC embroidery floss. When stitching “over 2,” (in other words, 14 crosses per 1″), the design is about 7.5″ wide x 8.5″ high.

A note about the canvas: after starting, I noticed a visible imperfection in the weaving, and chose to start over on a new piece of canvas. It was the right decision because that portion of the canvas would have definitely been noticeable. Now it’s a lesson to myself to carefully examine all canvases before starting my stitching!

I did enjoy making this design, though I must admit I wouldn’t have chosen it if I had seen it in its entirety first. For one, I like the warm version better because I think there is more contrast in the elements. For another, all the little “confetti” and single stitches were abundant and maddening to execute. I learned how to work pin stitches, and that helped a lot, but I still found the back of my work to look a-mess, no matter how hard I tried to keep it tidy!

There was a Facebook group organized for this stitchalong, as well as a Satsuma Street FB group, and some folks had remarkably neat backs, I cannot comprehend how they did it!

When time came to finish my work, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money getting it professionally framed, like I had Pretty Little City. I saw someone on Facebook finish their work like a banner, and then also saw another banner design on Jody’s Etsy page. Armed with 11-year-old grosgrain ribbon and sundry supplies from Joann’s (totaling less than $2), I created this lovely banner! I think this was also a good solution for a fairly complicated shape to frame.

Wide stripe sweater!

My main reason for knitting this adorable sweater was to replicate (and slightly enlarge) a lovely purple cardigan that Julia of Knitterly Things passed along to Sonya many years ago. You’ve certainly seen Sonya wearing it on my Instagram, and that sweater is now extremely well worn.

Pattern: Julia originally used the Eole pattern. I pretty much winged this striped version, and, unfortunately, at one point, had to re-knit a huge chunk of it as a result. I also got a bit of help from the LLani pattern, because I wanted the second version to be a little less poofy in the sleeves.

Yarn: I used handspun Sock Hop yarn (color “Free Bird”) which I’ve been hoarding for about 10 years (yeesh!), and pink Koigu (color 2233) which matched it perfectly. I decided to make wide stripes, which has its pluses (you can really see the color of the handspun transition and develop) and minuses (10,000 ends). The sweater used up about 300 yards of Koigu and 390 yards of Sock Hop.

Needles and finished dimensions: I used US 3 needles for a gauge of about 6 spi (fingering weight sweater, oh my!). The finished sweater is: 25″ chest circumference, 6.5″ sleeve length to underarm, and 13″ shoulder to hem. It’s definitely smaller than the Carbeth I recently knit for Sonya, so I put it into rotation immediately. She wore it to school today; today’s high was 85 degrees Fahrenheit, my crazy child.