Category Archives: Uncategorized

Rainbow kitties

I took Sonya to Joann’s several weeks ago to get buttons for this stripey sweater (still WIP-status), and somehow we came home with several cuts of fabric. First, she chose blue fabric for shorts, which became these Honeybuns Shorts. Next, she asked for “rainbow fabric.” We quickly walked the aisles, but didn’t see anything quite right. Eventually we came across a rainbow cat fabric, and it was love at first sight <3. She wanted shorts, but it’s just a woven printed cotton, so not quite sturdy enough for shorts, in my opinion. She said she’d be OK with a shirt, too.

I looked for the simplest possible shirt pattern – no buttons, no snaps, and not too many seams; a peasant-style blouse with raglan sleeves seemed like the best option. I purchased Burda Style #9438 (which, by the way, did not list finished dimensions or the size of the intended wearer on the back of the enveloped), traced the smallest size, and sewed it up. It came out far too big, as you may have seen on my Instagram stories.

Reluctantly, I decided to draft my own pattern using two of Sonya’s shirts with a similar silhouette. “Reluctantly” because I find this zero fun, and have no time for it. Anyway, it took some work and several tries, but eventually my pattern looked legit… -ish. I did have to go back to Joann’s to get another cut of this crazy cat fabric, because not much remained after my Burda attempt, haha! On the plus side, I had gleaned enough from following the Burda pattern that my homemade attempt went much more quickly and smoothly. While I cannot comment on the quality of my self-drafted pattern, I am confident in saying that the sewing and finishing of this shirt is A+! (I used both my sewing machine and serger.)

Details: the shirt is about 26″ chest circumference (Sonya’s is about 21″), and 13.75″ from top of shoulder to hem; this is about a size 3T. Shirt took about 3/4 of a yard of fabric, plus a length of 1/4″ elastic.

I rescued the fabric from my ill-fated Burda attempt, and used it to make a headband for Sonya and a zippered pouch (from Splityarn Caro) for my cat-crazy work friend!

Me: “Sonya, you look so beautiful, let me take a picture of you!”

Sonya: “I look beautiful here and here (points to head and body), but not here (points to pants). So can I have cat pants and cat shorts?”

Carbeth Cardigan, preschooler edition

When I saw the lovely Carbeth Cardigan by Kate Davies, I knew it would be absolutely perfect… for Sonya. She loves cardigans, and she also loves to wear t-shirts in all kinds of (cold) weather, so we have several cardigans in constant rotation all through the winter.

PatternCarbeth Cardigan by Kate Davies. Obviously I altered the sizing a bit, haha! I used one of Sonya’s cardigans to get the overall desired dimensions, then used the Carbeth pattern to get the proportions and directions for construction. It was fairly straightforward to translate the adult pattern to a mini version.

My only complaints about the pattern are: (1) leaving underarm stitches “on hold,” then grafting them later. For me, this never works out as neatly as just binding them off and seaming. And (2), the button band finishing was super fiddly and had a ton of ends, especially compared with the simplicity of the rest of the sweater.

 

 

Yarn: Berroco Vintage Chunky, purchased at WEBS. I had Sonya choose the color! She loved most of the reds and blues, and eventually settled on 6134/Sour Cherry. This cardi used up about 257g/334yd of yarn (a bit under 3 skeins). I love this yarn for both its price tag (this cardi used up about $21 worth of yarn), and easy care. It’s perfect for kids.

Needles and finished dimensions: I used US10 needles for the stockinette portions at a gauge of about 4 spi. I should have gone up a needle size for the sleeves, which are knit in the round, because my gauge was significantly tighter there than back-and-forth knitting. I think gauge differences and imperfections become more noticeable in chunkier yarn.

The finished sweater is: 27″ chest circumference, 9.5″ sleeve length to underarm, and 15″ shoulder to hem. This is about a 4T size, and should fit perfectly next winter, and maybe even the winter after. The buttons are from Joann’s, and look like painted mother of pearl. They are chunky and vintage-y, and very easy for preschooler hands to manage!

Second pair of Little Honeybuns Shorts!


I loved the Little Honeybuns shorts from the Pattern Emporium so much, I made a second pair! (here’s the first)

Everything was pretty much the same as last time, including a similar type of 2-way stretch fabric, lengthening the “play” length by 1″, #love clothing tag, and elastic all the way around, rather than just in the back. I did not do the pot belly adjustment this time around, as the previous pair of shorts came out a bit low. I made size 3 this time,  since the 2s are already a bit snug on Sonya. These are a bit big, but they may continue to shrink a bit with washing.

 

Sonya was very excited to wear her new shorts, but not overly cooperative about taking pictures. That’s OK! I’m certain that she’ll be demanding to wear them very frequently, and I’ll be able to get some better pics soon!