In the weeks leading up to Sonya’s birth, I picked up and finished a very old UFO: a “honeymoon blanket” that was last mentioned on this blog in December 2011. I’ve knit a few of these blankets over the years; they all have the same basic ingredients: a multi-colored cotton yarn by Katia, and mitered squares which are knit one onto the next.
When I picked up this particular UFO, I was surprised and embarrassed to discover that 97% of the work had been done. The squares had all been knit, and ends woven in. Just the center seams needed to be completed, and a border added. We all have projects which linger in near-completion for 3 years, right?!?
The details are the same as the first Honeymoon Blanket I completed back in 2008. This time, I used Katia Jamaica in 4004. The border is Gedifra Korfu in 2068. It’s slightly thicker than the Jamaica, so I picked up 5 border stitches for every 6 stitches of the blanket’s body to make up the difference in weight. I ended up knitting each edge of the border separately, and then making a tiny little seam in the corner. The knitting was much more manageable this way, and also I could knit each row instead of purling every other round.
This is the back of the blanket, which is tidy enough, I think.
I bound off the last row of stitches, seamed the last corner, and wove in the last end literally a few hours before my labor with Sonya started. Something had compelled me to finish this project that night (and also to do all the laundry). Now washed and blocked, I look forward to using this colorful blanket with my baby girl.0 likes