I have received many inquiries regarding these potholders, and requests to share the modified pattern. Unfortunately, I am unable to do so.
I did not keep careful notes about my modifications. Also, the original pattern is copyrighted, so I do not have the liberty to reveal the construction details.
I came up with my modifications by knitting the original pattern as written, and then tweaking it to make it fit for my yarn and gauge; it was an organic process. I think there is much to learn about how yarns and stitches behave by this kind of trial and error, and I encourage everyone to try!
Despite a gazillion other things going on, I’m so happy I persevered and finished these for the 2011 Potholder Swap (on Ravelry, on Flickr): they make me so happy! I’m also really pleased that I was able to crochet a shape other than a square, which was one of my goals for this year’s swap.
I even like the textured, though solidly-colored, backs!
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic, 100% mercerized cotton. I wasn’t as good this year at keeping track of the different colorways I used as I’ve been in the past. Some were half skeins from the stash, and others were freshly purchased. I know I needed just about a full skein of yarn to crochet the back, the rose in the middle, and the decorative ruffles. I suppose this we would call the “contrast color.” Obviously less yarn for the front (main color).
Crochet hook: size C (2.5 mm) from this set, which is still my favorite.
The one thing that wasn’t particularly thrilling was the realization that two of the potholders came out the exact colors of two NFL teams: the Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins.
But for this I take absolutely no credit: I had my husband pair up the colors one late evening when I had simply exhausted all my energy for the day. Being a huge NFL fan, I think it was only natural that these color pairings emerged. I hope the NFL potholders will be loved all the same ;).30 likes