How long have I been talking about starting a pair of socks for grandma? Forever (since June 27th). And how many times have I mentioned it since then? I don’t know… a dozen? Aren’t you sick of hearing about it? Shouldn’t there be a completed pair of socks by now?
This weekend I finally sat down, wound the intended Lorna’s Laces yarn into balls, got out my dpns and my sock pattern books, and got started.
And oh my God, it was such a headache.
Originally I wanted to double the yarn for a thicker sock, but that just didn’t look good with the patterns I tried. In addition to switching back and forth between using one versus two strands, I tried different needles, needle sizes, patterns, cast-ons, ribbing… you name it, I tried it! If I were to make a blog entry for every time I tried something new and ended up frogging, I would be “entertaining” you for weeks.
So I called my Grandma – who’s better to advise me about socks than the recipient herself? Did I mention my Grandma is the cutest? Here we are in April – she’s proudly wearing the first pair of socks I ever knit for her (also happens to be the first pair of socks I ever knit):
Unlike Paula’s Granny, my Grandma is a total enabler. Paula’s Granny always puts up a small protest when Paula offers to knit her socks, because she thinks it too much trouble and too much money. In contrast, my Grandma gives me yarn money and suggests different colors and patterns :).
I called Grandma to ask her to measure the last pair of socks I knit for her, which she says are the best-fitting ones to date. One thing led to another, and I hung up the phone convinced that Lorna’s Laces aren’t the best option right now. (You know what she told me about the Lorna’s Laces socks I knit for her? Although she prefaced with, “they are perfect,” she said that they stretch out too much with wear. I’m thinking the next Lorna’s pair I knit will be on US 0 needles (as opposed to US 1), to make the fabric tighter… what do you think?)
Anyway, she loves the last pair, which I knit out of dark blue KFI Cashmereno (now discontinued, sadly), and I have some oatmeal KFI Cashmereno left over from knitting my Mia Shrug, plus the Lorna’s Laces just weren’t working for me, so you know what comes next:
Oh, look at that 12% cashmere goodness! The pattern is from Nancy Bush’s Knitting Vintage Socks, and it’s called Child’s First Sock in Shell Pattern.
Because Grandma loves the dark blue pair so much, I am trying to mimic its dimensions and feel. I am using needles of the same size as before (I must say it’s pretty interesting to be knitting this yarn on US 1.5 needles considering the shrug was worked on US 6s), casting on a similar number of stitches (64 now, 70 on the dark blue pair), and I absolutely made sure to keep my Grandma’s favorite element – the tubular cast-on. Oh, how she loves the “non-binding” cast-on.
I think (I think) this one is a keeper. Considering the crazy amount of frogging I did to get this this point, I’m not entirely positive, but the great thing about knitting is that I’m the boss, and I reserve the right to change my mind at any time :). And, oh, I’ve got 185 of Lolly’s friends to egg me on – I joined her Socktoberfest!