The bleeder

And now the bleeder has also ruined the towel on which it was drying:

To answer Colleen’s question, it will not bleed this much every time. I rinsed and rinsed, and by the time my arms got really tired, and my back started to hurt from hovering over the bathtub and it was about 2 a.m., the water was a light peach color. The spots of very saturated color on the towel is a physical phenomenon – the water drains into the towel non-uniformly, in specific spots. The dye doesn’t go through the towel, it is trapped on the surface, which is why there are a few pronounced, dark spots rather than an outline of the culprit in a light peach color.

I thought there might be more speculation about the bleeder, but I’m guessing (correct me if I’m wrong) none of you could have predicted that this is the culprit:

I put the move on, guys and gals!

So far, so good. The lace and cable patterning is physically demanding. It’s a simple, easy to memorize repeat, but it’s a nice workout for the hands. In retrospect, when I was frustrated with knitting the stockinette stitch body of the sweater, I should have just started a sleeve!

I didn’t change the dimensions of the sweater that much: just shortened the body 1″, made the chest circumference just 1″ wider than the smallest size, and knit the smallest size otherwise. (By the way, the smallest AV size for this pattern and many others is 35″! That’s a size large for many British designers! Oh yes, if you have a knitting blog, you’ll have to reveal your dimensions eventually, it’s true).

However, I’m substituting the yarn (written for Adrienne Vittadini Martina, 19 sts/24 rows, I’m using KnitPicks’ Merino Style in Hollyberry, 23 sts/33 rows) and have had to do major Maths to accommodate both the change in the stitch gauge and in the row gauge:

Some other little details:

  • The fabric stretched after washing. Not happy about it. Before you tell me to wash the swatch before measuring gauge, I did that. It stretched about 1″ vertically and 1″ horizontally over the entire body of the sweater: this is not something I would have been able to notice in a 4″ x 4″ swatch. I think it still has a chance for a good fit, though.
  • I swatched with the identical yarn in a different color, which is why I didn’t know how much the burgundy yarn would bleed. I knew it would bleed some amount, though, because my stitch markers (pieces of yellow yarn) had all turned a dark peach after a while. I did not expect the process to produce punch :).
  • I started the cables & lace pattern section much later than what the pattern instructs (about 2.5″ higher). If you remember, the sweater has the lace & cables start at nipple level (here come the weird Google hits!), which I think is ridiculous.
  • I took the time to center a pattern repeat right at the center of the sweater. In my opinion, this is what separates poor-quality clothes from well-made clothes – the centering of all patterns and seams.
  • Now I will be doing more Maths to make sure the patterning on the raglan sleeves matches the patterning on the body of the sweater where the two are seamed together.

11 thoughts on “The bleeder

Comments are closed.


  1. Stephanie

    Holy crap – you’ve been BUSY! I think you’re smart to move the lace pattern up. The way it was made no sense for any sort of a practical garmet. Math scares me – this is why I have a hard time substituting yarn (and why I’m a lawyer – no math), but you seem to have it under control. I can’t wait to see more pieces.

  2. Agnes

    Haven’t tried any KnitPicks yarns yet. Would really like to know if you are happy with it after the sweater is finished. I find that feeling the yarns as a ball, as a 4″x4″ swatch and as a garment can be totally different.

  3. CatBookMom

    Your sweater will be stunning! BTW, I’m hoping that when I get to a project that needs a lot of math, you’ll give me some tips. By that time, you’ll be a real pro at knitting math.

    About the towel: try oxiclean or some pre-wash stain remover. Personally, I’m now a devoted Oxiclean user (NAYY); by soaking for a couple of hours, it has removed even stains that have been through the dryer.

  4. Karma

    Oh my stars, I *adore* that pattern and haven’t seen anyone else make it yet. I agree that the lace ends at an awkward place on the bodice and you were smart to move it. Can’t wait to see it finished. :)

  5. Jenifer

    Wow, who knew the merino style would bleed so much?? I’m glad I saw it here! Good luck to you on that math stuff … I would royally screw something very simple up, I’m in admiration of you. And thanks for the browse through the Russian book! Very interesting to see what’s going on in other parts of the world.

  6. Carolyn

    OH you have been a busy girl! Looks awesome! Nice to know about merino style…I have been eyeing the hollyberry for a scarf. You can tell you really love math and science…I was the art and art history freak…not the sciences. I need to master this art of “fitting” the garment.

  7. annie

    Lovely, lovely, lovely!

    Here’s what I do when I get a bleeder…

    I dampen the piece, put it on a microwave safe plate and microwave it at 30 second increments (to make sure it’s not scorching or melting or anything horrible…) for about 2 minutes total.

    This superheating will set the dye.

  8. Jenn

    You’re right, starting laciness at the boobs is a pretty bad idea (unless you’re an international model who can get away with that), which is probably why they model it only on a dummy. I like the changes you’re making! I’m also glad to see how much that yarn bleeds- if I ever use it, I’ll make sure to rinse it well before letting it touch anything! I had some I used for socks, but in the pink color, Petal.

Comments are closed.